ADJUSTABLE CAMERA MOUNT

For about the last year I've been using my B-camera on a camera slider and the connection between the two was a 'Z' mount. It was OK, but had a severely limited range of motion, and in the last few months the friction bolts that hold the bits in place have become less able to do their job. I decided to make a mounting of my own based on an old anglepoise lamp. I had begun a project with this a few years ago - I was going to make an adjustable video light using a square biscuit tin with some LED strips inside it. But for some reason that barely got started and I now have enough adjustable video lights so there's not much point in building another one.

I removed the light fitting and shade from the lamp, and this reveals a circular holder to connect a new 3D printed part into. This part is basically a mash-up of an Arca-Swiss-style quick release holder and a notched disc that fits into the holder ring on the lamp. It's incredibly simple and hugely effective. The range of motion is much improved and the anglepoise mechanism of the lamp base means that you never have to screw anything in place - it's able to hold any position you move it to, even with a camera attached. I also made a thing to connect the anglepoise to the slider, but that's another story.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MacAllister Electric Planer Review

I'm Back!

Evolution R255+ Sliding Mitre Saw | Unboxing, Assembly, First Use, Review